Jonathan Pilbeam opened the doors to Pilbeam Opticians in1989. The founding principles of Pilbeam Opticians was to provide the very highest level of patient care and to supply the best quality eyewear in a friendly environment. Jonathan began with the support of two part time receptionists. The team has now grown to 12: 6 Optometrists, 3 Dispensing Opticians and 3 Optical Assistants – serving a data base of around 13000 patients.
There have been many major changes in Mountsorrel since Pilbeam Opticians first opened:
- Many more new homes
- The opening of the Mountsorrel By-pass – cleaner windows at last!
- A fabulous leisure centre arrived in 2004 – no excuses!
- The Michelin starred John’s House opened in 2014
- And the amazing new Memorial Hall opened in January 2018 – surely one of the finest of its type in the country
- The Practice was among the first ten practices in the world to install the Optomap retinal scanner – providing an unrivalled panoramic view of the retina and much needed peace of mind to patients.
- The I-Care tonometer was recently introduced – enabling pressure readings of the eye without the harsher ’puff’ characteristic of older devices.
- Pilbeam Opticians began the process of going paperless in 2016 and patients can now book their appointments on line.
- Optometrists have undertaken further training to receive referrals from local GPs – often removing the need for the GP to refer into the hospital system.
- Development of second consulting room in 2005 to cater for the increased demand for services.
- A major refit in 2016 confirmed Pilbeam Opticians commitment to the ever improving community of Mountsorrel.
- 2019 – the first Practice in Europe to install the Optos Monaco – world leading technology that allows a wide scan of the retina in addition to a 3D picture of all the layers of the retina
Pilbeam Opticians has always been thankful for the continued support of Mountsorrel and the surrounding communities and tries to help put something back whenever there is an opportunity – sponsoring local football and cricket teams, donating to raffles, fund raising activities and supporting a group of teenagers working in Tanzania in 2018.